Southern Hemisphere Mining Limited has released plans to sustainably develop the 100% owned Los Pumas Manganese Project into a globally significant reliable source of Manganese to meet the demand and rapid growth in the EV and EV battery metals industries.
A key part of sustainably developing the Los Pumas Manganese deposit is the company’s carbon neutrality plan designing the project to operate with minimum greenhouse emissions by implementing energy saving initiatives coupled with offsetting any unavoidable emissions.
The company is working on initiatives seeking alternative energy and raw material sources where possible and viable to adopt green energy practices.
- Supplementing power generation systems with one or more of:
- Power generation from conveyors transporting concentrate to the rail head.
- Hydro power from recent developments nearby.
- Solar power.
- Wind power – this option has now been considered and excluded as average wind strengths in the Los Pumas area are suboptimal.
- Production of water from the atmosphere using atmospheric water generators, which have negligible effect on the environment when powered with renewable energy sources.
- A trial onsite is required to confirm atmospheric water generators will work effectively which will be included in feasibility studies.
- Use of alternative fuels.
- Rail Transport instead of trucking which has a much lower energy use and substantial potential opex saving than contemplated in the PEA/Scoping Study (ASX release 2 February 2011 – PEA).
- Opting for autonomous vehicles, where possible, which consistently report lower fuel consumptions when compared to traditional vehicles.
High Purity Manganese Sulphate (HPMSM)
The company has engaged industry experts to carry out a mineralogy review to assess the process flowsheet options to produce HPMSM. Early work shows the DMS product is low in impurities with no identified technical impediments to producing HPMSM. There may be potential to benefit from precipitating potassium from the Cryptomelane dominant ore as Sulphate of Potash (SOP).
Commodity Traders and EV Battery Manufacturers
The company is actively seeking and engaging with commodity traders, financiers, EV manufacturers and EV battery manufacturers to advance the Los Pumas Manganese Project with the aim to supply a carbon-neutral battery cathode manganese component.
The Los Pumas Manganese Project has a mineral resource estimate of 23.7Mt @ 7.81% Mn and last month Southern Hemisphere Mining presented its EV Battery Market plans for Los Pumas.
Date: 5 July 2021 | ASX Code: SUH
Southern Hemisphere Mining Limited is a successful copper-gold explorer in Chile, the world’s leading copper producing country and one of the most prospective regions of the world for major new copper discoveries.